Monday, May 02, 2005

Strange Days

Okay, I'm getting more and more incapable of dealing with humanity as it is currently. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but is it too much to ask for some common courtesy and common sense? When did we lose the ability to think for and take care of ourselves? Not a day goes by that I don't hear about some poor soul crying out that they have been wronged and how injustice and inequality are rampant and they are but the latest victims of this cruel, cruel world......but they're willing to forget all that for the right fee.

Maybe it's just me. I'm honest enough with myself to realize that I see the world a bit differently than most but I don't see these ideals as optional. Perhaps I am being insensitive to the needs of others but last I checked, these others that I'm being insensitive too are usually not working(there are jobs available), are usually under-educated(public schools still exist), are usually from dysfunctional families(who isn't), and are wanting everyone else to take care of them.

Perhaps I am being too judgemental and overly harsh. I do have a tendency to expect a lot from a person but is that being too harsh? One person says, "You can't take care of yourself. You have to have help" while the other states, "You can do this. It will take work and dedication but you are capable of achieving." Which is the judge, and which is the mentor? Which of those two is reinforcing the idea that they are incapable of self-determination and which is trying to instill the idea of responsibility and freedom?

More and more I find myself at odds with people who think that we have a moral and civic duty to care for those in bad situations. I don't remember the article in the constitution that gave the government the job of mom and dad. I don't remember the Declartion of Independence stating "We the providers, in order to take care of all." Life is difficult at times and wonderful at times. You can either learn from it or not. Take your pick. Think on this though: for every mistake you learn from you grow wiser. How do you learn if someone is always bailing you out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home